Strategy of War only requires two players, however it can also be enjoyed by an unlimited number of Commanders. In team Battle games, each Commander may act independently or work together as teams of allies.
Team Battle games are simple and fast because each Commander has only one Base Location to defend and launch their forces from. The battlefield map in a team battle game is the biggest difference from the standard game.
In front of each Base Location is an empty Battlefield Location; all other Battlefield Locations are removed. Imagine that you are playing a single player game with each Commander. In theory, each Base Location is two Battlefield Locations away. Because each Commander is basically directly across from you, Units use range as normal.
In addition to the basic rules, the following new rules and changes affect game play for team battles:
- All games that require teams can be chosen randomly or use predetermined members.
- Teams MAY NOT conspire by showing each other their cards or telling any Commander their strategy.
- Allies may not sit next to each other to prevent a team from having two consecutive turns.
- Allied Units may occupy the same location (including Base Locations).
- Commanders have a maximum of 3 minutes to execute their entire turn.
- Each Commander OWNS ONLY ONE “generic” Base Location, not two. A generic Base Location has a defense and NO Directives. The “generic” Base Location is considered all class types and divisions when targeted.
- A Unit can use a movement of 3 to be adjacent to any Commander’s Base Location. The Battlefield Locations are set as if you are playing in a direct line with each Commander.
- All team battle games use a modified Battlefield Location called the Dead Zone.
Team Battle Map
- The Dead Zone is a center Battlefield Location. This is a normal Battlefield Location.
- A Unit in a Base Location with a range of 4 can attack Units in any Enemy Commander’s Base Location. For example, player 4 can use a 4-range Unit to attack player 3’s Base Location.
Dead Zone Protection
- Units in the Dead Zone cannot be attacked by Units using a ranged attack.
- Battlefield Conditions cannot be deployed to the Dead Zone.